In 1863, a wealthy gentleman, Mr. Coppinger of Monkstown Castle, expressed a desire to build a nursing home where poor patients whose home conditions were unfavourable, could spend a short period of convalescence following their discharge from hospital. And so, Linden Convalescent Home was opened in 1864.
In July 1871, Mr. M B Mullins, of Baleigan, King’s County, left a bequest for the provision of accommodation in Linden Convalescent Home for patients from eight of the public hospitals in Dublin.
In June 1993, the community were informed that the work of accommodating convalescent patients in Linden was to be terminated, as the premises were no longer suitable for providing an adequate, up-to-date service, and the cost of refurbishment would be prohibitive.
This service was to be continued in the new, purpose-built unit in Merrion, to be known as “Caritas Convalescent Centre”. Although the announcement provoked a certain amount of sadness, it was recognized that Linden had served its purpose as a convalescent home for well over a century and that it was in the tradition of Mother Mary Aikenhead that our Sisters would provide better facilities for those whom they serve.